Intensive farming systems create a litany of animal welfare concerns. To increase the well-being of farm animals, alternatives to current management practices are essential.
Farming equipment manufacturer from the UK wanted to create a product that can be used for environmental monitoring at animal farms.
System should monitor environmental conditions like air temperature, humidity, light intensity distribution and wavelength specter.
Also, the the important application is monitoring of animal voice to measure level of stress by using mems microphone in combination with special algorithms and signal processing.
Thermal camera has been used to monitor the movement and growth of animals over time.
System uses latest Wi-Fi SoC module with Cortex M4 and highest IoT security features. Main device also includes battery charging and monitoring circuit, DC-DC switching converters, air punp controller and bus communication converters.
In order to save cost on development and manufacturing, our team has suggested to optimized the design, and use same PCB in 4 different variants of product:
– GAS Sensing
– Light & Temperature
So, instead 4 different devices, a single architecture has been developed to support all features,
saving time on firmware development by using less developers, but also saving time on design and manufacturing.
Board design have been optimized for following sensors:
– Humidity and temperature,
– NDIR CO2,
– Analog NH3
– External digital temperature probe
– External RGB and Light sensor
– Thermal camera module
– Accoustic module
Our team did the following:
– Hardware design
– Firmware development
– Implementation of sensor calibration algorithms
– Software for multi-point sensor calibration
– Implementation of audio procesing algorithms in mcu
– implementation of thermal image procesing in mcu
– Software for secure firmware flashing and security certificate generation
– Manufacturing support
– Integration with AWS cloud
– Development of AWS cloud software for farm monitoring